The solid-state disk structure of SSD：master control algorithm- firmware- NAND flash memory
SSD solid-state disks have been a major advance in storage technology over recent years, which brings about disruptive changes in main storage of computer. Upgrading SSD is not only a slight improvement in the aspect of performance，it also will change the experience of using computer with revolutionary random access speed, excellent multitasking ability, excellent durability and reliability. There is no doubt that SSD will be the leading role of future storage. Now, the composition of SSD, related technologies related to SSD and usage skills of SSD are briefly introduced to help more users understand what real SSD is.
First, we should understand the most basic SSD components, main control chip, NAND flash memory chip and firmware algorithm.
The traditional hard disk drive (HDD) is mainly operated by mechanical driving head, including necessary mechanical parts such as motor, disk, magnetic head and rocker arm, which must be moved to the access position on the rapidly rotating disk, and at least 95% of the time is consumed on the action of mechanical components.
However, SSD is different from mechanical structure，which requires no moving parts. The kind of SSD, which mainly consist of master controls and flash memory chips, can visit any location of drives at a faster rate and greater accuracy. While traditional hard disk drive must rely on the main shaft host, magnetic head, and magnetic head arm to find their positions, SSDS replace physical spinning disks with integrated circuits, and the time and delay of accessing data far exceeds the hard disk drive. SSD has such "amazing speed", entirely thanks to the internal components: the master control, flash memory and firmware algorithm.
The relationship of master control, flash memory and firmware algorithm
After Indilinx was purchased by OCZ, it was mainly used in the SSD of OCZ, which had a good comprehensive reading and writing performance. And its typical model is Barefoot 3.
The firmware of the SSD is the most important component to ensure SSD performance, which is used to drive the controller. The master controller will use the control program in the firmware algorithm of SSD to perform automatic signal processing, loss balancing, error correction code (ECC), bad block management, garbage collection algorithm, communication with host equipment (such as computer), and data encryption. Since the firmware redundancy is stored in NAND flash, when the SSD manufacturer issues an update, it is necessary to manually update the firmware to improve and extend the function of the SSD.
Developing high-quality firmware requires not only sophisticated engineering, but also perfect integration of NAND flash, controller, and the rest of SSD components. In addition, the most advanced technologies in the areas of NADN characteristics, semiconductor technology and controller characteristics must be mastered. The better the quality of the firmware, the more accurate and efficient the whole SSD. Currently, not many SSD manufacturers have independent research and development of firmware, only Intel/ crucial/Plextor/OCZ/ Samsung and some manufacturers.
NAND flash memory：
The data of SSD users is stored in NAND flash memory, which is the storage medium of SSD. The main cost of SSD is concentrated on NAND flash memory. NAND flash memory determines not only the lifetime of the SSD, but also its performance. The particle structure of NAND flash memory and its working principles are very complex, and we'll continue to publish a series of articles, which focuses on flash memory. Here, we mainly have a basic understanding of SLC, MLC and TLC flash memory, which customers usually purchase.
SLC/MLC/TLC flash memory：
The kinds of flash memory state
In the past few years, the technology of NAND flash memory has been developing rapidly. In a short time, we have seen significant progress in NAND technology, from the enterprise-level SLC flash to the consumption-level MLC flash, to the current emerging TLC flash. How
- The Trade War Between Japan and South Korea Has Raised the Spot Price of Internal storage
- The Price of NAND really went up! All Module Factories start to stock up and Limit supply
- Toshiba’s Power Outage and Japan’s Sanctions to South Korea-The Global Price of Memory and Flash Memory Chips Maybe Pick Up
- Intel Releases Six Major Technology Pillar Strategies: 10/7nm Process Plus 3D Package to Create a New Generation of CPU Cornerstone
- The six pillar technologies proposed by Intel will be the major drivers for Intel for the next 10 ye...
- Israel: A Country with Powerful Chips
- Israel is a country well-known for its powerful chips. There are a number of successful chip compani...
- Samsung Mass Produce World's First New 250GB SATA Solid-State Drive with 136-Layer NAND Flash
- Samsung mass produced 6th generation V-NAND (3bit, or TLC) chip based on a 136-layer with a single d...
- Small BG4 SSD with capacity of 1T
- With the application of 96-layer BiCS4 flash memory and HMB host memory buffer technology, BG4 SSD h...
- TSMC has Hired More Than 3000 Employees to Accelerate the Development of the 5/3nm Process
- TSMC has released a large-scale recruiting plans to accelerate the development of the 5/3nm Process....